Business and faith don't mix, right?
According to census statistics from 2011 there are 37m Christians in the UK and of those 14% are self-employed, i.e. 5.18m. Quite a large number!
So what's that got to do with anything? Well, the Bible says that God places the desires on our hearts and gives us the desire and power to please him (Philippians 2:13) Psalms 37:4 says 'Take delight in the Lord and he will give you your hearts desires'.
You might be thinking, "well, all this Bible stuff is all well and good but how does it help or change anything?"
I've been in business since 1987 so I know a thing or two about what you or we have to go through on a daily basis. I've also lost everything and made it back, so you could say that I've had my ups and downs.
I became a Christian in 2009 and so I can now see how things could have been. Hindsight is a wonderful thing!
There are a few misconceptions we business people have when it comes to faith and Christianity, which are as follows:
- Money and Christianity don't mix
- Running a business isn't really 'Godly'
- Money is the root of all evil
- You can't be a great boss if you're a Christian
- Christianity is for wimps
- Christianity is not relevant
- God wouldn't want to get involved in our businesses!
You can probably guess where this is going!
I've found that most people are not interested in Christianity simply because no one has taken the time to explain it properly.
Preachers, Pastors and Ministers are just that! They're not business people. And because they have other things going on, they rarely if ever, take the time to connect with businesses - and sadly, if they do, there's always that thought in the back of everyone's mind that they're after your money.
Well here's the good news; God is interested! Think about this:
- We're expected to be here on this earth
- God planned for some people to run businesses and some to work for them
- Business leaders are crucial to God's plan
- God wants business people to be seriously successful
- God wants to help businesses grow, with no stress, and to be financially stable
- God wants us to place him at the centre of everything we do
It's not complicated and I should know; but there's a catch! You've got to get a handle on this 'faith' thing for it to start having an effect.
There are many elements to business, some good and some bad. Our job as Christians is to know how to combat the bad stuff and develop the good.
I now know there's nothing more important than understanding this, so why not come and meet us at Caffe Nero in Rickmansworth for a chat. If you're not up for that straight away, take a look at our sister website developed specifically for businesses, called "The Standard | Christian Ministry for Business Owners".